26 July 2019
The 2019/20 domestic racing calendar has been confirmed and shared with all racing clubs and other recognised industry organisations today.
The calendar, which covers the period from 1 August 2019 to 31 July 2020, has been approved by the RITA Dates Committee following extensive consultation with the three racing codes, clubs and other recognised racing organisations.
The creation of the final calendar is a comprehensive, robust and collaborative process. In developing the calendar, we work through a number of changes and iterations with a goal of improving the promotion of racing, while still giving the industry a domestic racing calendar that maximises revenue and reduces the cost of its delivery.
Here is a summary of the key dates, features and changes to the 2019/20 calendar:
- The Great Northern Steeplechase returns to Ellerslie on 7 September
- Harness Racing Waikato hosting a new night meeting on Melbourne Cup Day 5 November
- Palmerston North's 'Festival of Racing' dual code meeting returns to Manawatu Raceway on 27 March.
- Harness Jewels returning to Cambridge Raceway on 30 May 2020.
- Fifty additional night Greyhound meetings are scheduled for Wanganui GRC at Hatrick Raceway
- A reduction of seven venues as a result of the outcomes of NZTR’s venue plan. All thoroughbred clubs impacted by the changes have been allocated an alternative venue.
Printed 2019/20 racing calendar booklets will be available free from TAB retail outlets in August. You can view the online calendar here.